Each of us have been given an amazing brain with unique gifts and talents. But it is the mind and soul that enables us to share those gifts and talents with others in meaningful ways. Sharing and caring for others connects us as human beings and separates us from other living things.
However, as my friend often tells me, you can't pour from an empty cup.
Self-care isn’t selfish. Self care means identifying your own feelings, embracing them, and tending to them the way you would tend to the emotional needs of a loved one. It means listening to that vulnerable child or inner critic deep inside and expressing the same kind of comfort, reassurance, love and compassion to yourself that you so freely give to others.
Self-care may be one of the healthiest things we can do, not only for ourselves, but also for our relationships with others. As we learn how to take better care of ourselves, we become better people, more empathetic, more compassionate. When we fill our own emotional tanks with love and kindness, we have more love and kindness to share with those around us.
Here are 12 steps to better self-care:
1. Acknowledge that you are a work in progress.
2. Don't let the inner critic steal your show.
3. Acknowledge that your own feelings are as valid as those of others.
4. Never trash-talk yourself.
5. Don't be afraid to say no.
6. Don't be afraid to say yes.
7. Let go of worries you can't control.
8. Don't put your keys to happiness in someone else's pocket.
9. Surround yourself with people who appreciate who you are.
10. Laugh with people you love.
11. Live with intention.